I have never made this bread before, and we have a local Restaurant here in Goodyear Called “Dino’s Greek and Italian Grill & Bar, which is one of our favorites and lucky for us it is 1/2 mile away. One of our favorite appetizers is Pita and Tirokafteri, Spicy feta, jalapeno, olive oil & fresh lemon juice. (which I have also made today). Who knew! We know can have it anytime and all so easy.
I used my Kitchen-Aid Mixer for this and it was so easy, I will never buy them again! Watch the slide show and you will see how easy it is. They looked good and my company loved them. We love Dino’s and will still order the appetizer (During happy hour it is only $3.95) but know will not fill up on the pita and try some of the other great dishes Peter has to offer. 🙂
Homemade Pita Bread
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/8 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- In the bowl of Kitchen-aid Mixer ( I used because I love it)o r medium mixing bowl, add hot water, yeast and sugar and stir.
- Let sit for about 7 minutes to activate yeast.
- Add to bowl salt, flour and olive oil, mix with mixer attachment of a minute.
- Attach dough hook and mix at medium speed (I used 2) for about 8 minutes ( I checked at at 5).
- Add more flour or water to form a ball that is tacky but does not stick to bowl.
- Form dough into ball, cover and let rest for 1 hour until doubled.
- Remove from bowl and punch down and knead into a nice smooth ball. Flour your surface and Depress it with a rolling pin and slice into 8-9 triangles.
- Form triangles into small balls and roll into individual disks about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cook either in oven (425) on pizza stone for 7-8 minutes or on hot grill pan on stove top for 1 minute each side (they begin to puff up) at medium heat.
- As they cook remove onto plate and cover with towel (they need to stay soft).
- Enjoy them as we did buy using a pizza cutter and slicing into six triangles or slice them open and stuff with you favorite Pita stuffing
- They are amazing and very easy!